Today I had the chance to go eat lunch with Sam! It was very dejavuish (I'm sure that isn't a word, but it's how I felt)!
Twenty-five years ago I was sitting in that same lunch room- eating similar food to what I had back then. Memories were flooding back of me stuffing my green beans into the milk container, because I couldn't go out to recess until all my food was gone. I remember trying to be so sneaky about it and getting a sick stomach for fear of my teacher catching me!
After lunch I asked Sam to show me around the playground & what a breath of fresh air. Those sweet kids were running around like ants in an ant hill. Everyone was moving at lightning speed. They would go from swing, to monkey bars, to jungle gym and back again. As I looked around, everyone had a smile on their face. No one was left alone on the playground. Everyone was accounted for & happy!
I saw runny noses, toothless grins, & rosy cheeks. Little girls were skipping and holding hands. Rough and tumble boys were pushing each other to see who could get up the slippery slide first. There wasn't a care in the world on that black top & that is exactly how it should be!
As I left there completely satisfied, I watched Sam & his friends chase some squealing girls. Those boys all had a look of satisfaction on their faces as they accomplished the task of making the girls scream.
My wish would be that every child in the world could have that same sense of freedom and carelessness. Their bellies could be full of food, their faces could have glowing smiles and their lives safe.
4 comments:
Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!
Children are the same all over the world except for the color of thier skin. Thanks for the thoughts and memories.
So, I'm thinking one of those squealing girls was Annalise. I read the recess part to her and she got a sheepish grin on her face about it all. Oh - when I asked her if she saw you at lunch she said, "Yes, and she is beautiful!". So, there you go!
How fun that you went and did that!
Love your blog!
Mary Price (Brunson)
Love your blog...miss you guys. It was great to hang out with you last weekend!
Post a Comment