Wednesday was a day that I had been dreading for a whole week!
I am currently in training (that really sounds important, but it's not),
for a half marathon in March & this was that week for the big 10 mile run.
For the occasion I even bought a fanny pack with water bottle & some "Goo" for energy & electrolytes.
I didn't really want to think much about the run,
because it made my insides start churning!
Luckily we chose an amazingly beautiful day that was in the 20's (temperature),
so I started to think that it was doable.
Miles 1 through 5 weren't bad.
My running partner, Jodi, is amazing & talks on interesting topics the whole time
while I add my few comments & concentrate on breathing
or just surviving as we make our way up a hill.
At mile 7 we stopped for our "Goo" break,
that seriously made me worse off than I already was.
Talk about some disgusting, puke provoking stuff.
For the 3 miles that we had left I asked
& wondered when this nasty stuff was going to kick in and make me feel better.
At the end of mile 10 I was in pretty good shape
& looking back really had quite an enjoyable run.
Plus I did something that I never thought that my body would be able to do.
It was very fulfilling!
(As I am writing this a few days after the run, I am really surprised
that my body didn't shut down and go into some type
of arrest. I feel great & wasn't sore, just tired!)
So now I am looking to the future, which is next week, & my 11 mile run.
Then onto 12 & finally 13 mile run in the weeks following before the actual race.
The reward will come as we are driving down to southern Utah and into some beautiful weather.
I won't have to run with 3 layers of shirts a winter coat & hat to keep warm. The spikes will get to come off of my shoes because the fear of slipping on the ice won't be there.
Good days are yet to come!
I am currently in training (that really sounds important, but it's not),
for a half marathon in March & this was that week for the big 10 mile run.
For the occasion I even bought a fanny pack with water bottle & some "Goo" for energy & electrolytes.
I didn't really want to think much about the run,
because it made my insides start churning!
Luckily we chose an amazingly beautiful day that was in the 20's (temperature),
so I started to think that it was doable.
Miles 1 through 5 weren't bad.
My running partner, Jodi, is amazing & talks on interesting topics the whole time
while I add my few comments & concentrate on breathing
or just surviving as we make our way up a hill.
At mile 7 we stopped for our "Goo" break,
that seriously made me worse off than I already was.
Talk about some disgusting, puke provoking stuff.
For the 3 miles that we had left I asked
& wondered when this nasty stuff was going to kick in and make me feel better.
At the end of mile 10 I was in pretty good shape
& looking back really had quite an enjoyable run.
Plus I did something that I never thought that my body would be able to do.
It was very fulfilling!
(As I am writing this a few days after the run, I am really surprised
that my body didn't shut down and go into some type
of arrest. I feel great & wasn't sore, just tired!)
So now I am looking to the future, which is next week, & my 11 mile run.
Then onto 12 & finally 13 mile run in the weeks following before the actual race.
The reward will come as we are driving down to southern Utah and into some beautiful weather.
I won't have to run with 3 layers of shirts a winter coat & hat to keep warm. The spikes will get to come off of my shoes because the fear of slipping on the ice won't be there.
Good days are yet to come!
5 comments:
What????? Diana Gee Puzey is going to run a 1/2 marathon? After all the time I spent trying to talk you into running 3 miles. Now I see how influential I am. Not at all. Seriously, I am so excited for you. Are you going to run the Moab 1/2? I've run that one a couple of times. It's fun. I'm so EXCITED for you. I tried GOO for the first time for my 1/2 marathon in Oct. Pretty nasty stuff huh? I think it helps though, well, mabes, if you don't throw up first. Plus, just so you know, 20 degrees isn't exactly balmy. I guess it actually is for Rexburg in February. Shouldn't it be about 20 below or something. This is the longest comment I've ever made on any blog ever. You're inspiring.
you are my hero. One day I will be as good as you and WILL run a 1/2 marathon. Wow!
You're Awesome! What a great example and inspiration you are. I think I will go get on the tread machine for 15 or so (minutes).
We love you. Keep up the good work! Ma & Pa Puzey
You've done well, my friend. Thanks for keeping me motivated in these cold, dreary, and icy running conditions! Can't wait to say hello to Moab.
Diana- Good job on the running.You are inspiring. I thought there was no way I could run outside with all the dang snow on the roads and you are up in Rexburg where there is more snow and lots of cold. I guess I should venture away from the treadmill a little more! Nate
Post a Comment