I finally gathered my thoughts about this enormous event in my
life that I never dreamed would have happened!
So here is the day, June 13, 2009.
4:30 a.m.- wake-up
5 a.m.- catch bus headed to Teton Dam
6 a.m.- RACE BEGINS
R
U
N
A
L
O
T
mile 13- start to feel my IT band in knee
(so far ran on about 8 miles of gravel)
mile 18- felt pain in IT band
(still have a big 4 mile hill in front of me!)
mile 22-26.2- pretty slow going
(unfortunately had to walk at times during this stretch.)
FINISHED!!!!!
Great cheer squad!
Long road, we are the little blips.
At the end my feet were barely coming off the pavement!
Monty, my bro-in-law, ran it with me!
Phew, glad that's over!
After that finish line, I headed home for a hot shower.
(I know that some people are going to be thinking
that wasn't the best idea, but I did it any way!)
Went immediately to bed for three hours,
curled up in the fetal position.
When I awoke I couldn't move out of the
fetal position until Casey came & helped me move!
Then I went and sat down in a tub of cold water &
was able to move a lot easier!
It took about 4 days for my muscles to not ache anymore,
& I am grateful for that!
In the end, I am amazed at what the body can do when
pushed to the limit! It was an incredible experience that took a lot more
than 5 hours. It was 6 months worth of work and dedication
(and lots of encouragement from my family)
to get me through.
The journey to get to that one day was amazing and full
of so many great memories. The aches, pains, increased calf size,
loss of sleep & loss of toenails was worth it.
I have big thanks for my running partners, Jodi & Stephen,
who wouldn't leave me behind
even though I asked them several times to go on without me.
I have an even bigger thanks to my hubby who was with us
every step of the way, for telling me every morning how 'amazing'
I was for waking up at 5:15 a.m. to get those runs in, for taking care
of all the children when I was gone for long periods of time,
for still loving me when I was constantly sweaty and needing a shower,
for never giving up on me or doubting my abilities!
LOVE YOU!
5 comments:
way to go, what a mom!! i'm so impressed that you set a goal and completed it. so, are you still waking up early to go running?
FANTASTIC! You should be so proud of yourself, Chris will still comment that he can't believe you did it! Not that he didn't think you could, he's just amazed that you would.
Diana,
Way to go!!!! Especially with the knee pain. I kind of tanked on the last six miles of mine and I didn't have a good reason either--I was just plain exhausted. You are awesome!
you rock
Pretty Amazing! Way to go!
Post a Comment