Thursday, September 10, 2009

winter prep!

Saturday was the day of (and I hate to say it)
winter preparation!
Not that I bake bread for the winter, but for the next two weeks.
The peaches (I made another batch) are for winter!
CORN
We husked over over 12 dozen ears of corn,
to try our hand at freezing it!
We had a lot of fun.
I do have to say that I love Saturdays because it is know as the 'work' day.
And no one can complain about.
And by the great chance that someone does complain about it,
the consequence is more work.
I definitely receive the win/win situation.
Sam found one ear of corn with four cobs growing inside!
It's so big it looked like a bridal bouquet.
We moved the operation into the kitchen!
Our finished product, heading out to the deep freeze!
COAL
We also got our ton of coal to get us through the winter months.
We will be very toasty snuggled around the fire.
Ashlyn claimed that she would have black lung disease &
Ellie couldn't have been more proud of the dust
that covered her from head to toe!
All in all our Saturday was super productive and the kids are learning about working together to accomplish good things.

2 comments:

Heather said...

you guys are awesome!!! I love your winter preps. I'm going to do peach jam and then freeze some sliced this next week. My family used to freeze corn and it was so delicious all winter long! Isn't it great to work together as a family. I remember so many Saturdays when we would work hard all day long and then do a fun activity in the evening to celebrate all of our efforts. I'm sure I didn't always love it then to have to work, but I do think it brings lots of neat family memories. Your kids are darling! Oh - and thanks for the peach freezing tips and recipe. I think I'll do that one. The only thing I need is a spare freezer. I have to squish everything into the one in my kitchen. sigh...

Debi said...

I HATE to even see someone doing a post about winter! But since you did, it all looks great!