Sunday, January 10, 2010

dad


My sweet dad passed away on Friday, January 8, 2010.
He has been fighting Alzheimer's for the past 6 years and cancer for the past year.
Throughout all of it, he faced a lot of his fears and yet continued to laugh and chuckle with all of us.
Of course there were lots of tears shed, but we enjoyed and loved our time with him.
Dad was an example to all of us, even up until the very end.
What a privilege it was to take care of him with my mom and siblings.
My heart was warmed as he would open his smiling eyes and look
at us as we fed him some applesauce or helped him drink some water.
Our family was not a touchy feely family, but towards the end I loved holding his hands and
kissing his shiny forehead.

Back in December when we (mom, Shelley and I) visited with Dad's oncologist to try and figure out how we could best take care of Dad, the doctor, who is a great man, taught us many things. We talked about the Lord's tender mercies and how we had seen so many of those mercies bestowed upon my dad and all of us. The doctor also taught us about death and let us know that when it was time for my dad to go, the "windows of Heaven" would be opened and there would be loved ones there to meet him and help him return Home.

That happened early Friday morning and what a glorious experience to witness. After all of the pain and suffering that he went through to be released from his body, there was an indescribable spirit and peace that filled his bedroom.
One that I will never forget.
I cannot deny what I know and felt that morning-
there is a God who is mindful of all of us
and he loves ALL.

*taken at dad's & Tanner's b-day party this last December
*taken during this past summer as they were headed out for their daily bike ride
*on a horse ride 2 summers ago
*at Brian's wedding in Sept. '08
It was an honor to have this man as my father.
He taught by his example and showed love through
his actions. He will be missed, but I look forward to the
eternities with him.

9 comments:

Debi said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, but what a beautiful tribute you just posted. It is a nice comfort to know we will be able to be with our loved ones forever! Hope you are feeling comfort from the Lord at this time and keeping in mind that your dad is whole again and at peace.

Alison said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, Diana. He is such a good man and how neat to know he is still close to you and rooting for you from the other side. What a treasure to have had some neat experiences serving him the last few years. Please know we are thinking of you and your family is in our prayers. Lots of love to you!

Taneil said...

I am so sorry Diana. There is nothing to say when someone you love dies, nothing seems to help. Just know I am praying for you and your family!

Hilary said...

Diana, We are thinking of and praying for your family. I hope you feel all the comfort the gospel can bring right now and for the months and years to come. I feel blessed to have my dad preparing spirits and helping us on from the other side. Your Dad still is the patriarch of your family. You will feel that throughout your life. We love you guys!

Nicole said...

No words to really express...but I love you!

Nate and Heidi said...

So sorry to hear that Diana...He is in a wonderful place for sure. I'm sure he is watching over your family now and so very pleased with the way you are living and teaching your children. Hang in there. Life is short and the beautiful thing is that you get to see him again! =) Luv, Heidi

Marne said...

So sorry Diana! My dad emailed me his obituary. I had not heard. I loved reading this touching post about your dad. He was a great man and touched the lives of many people. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Annette said...

Your post is a beautiful tribute to your father. I am glad this was such a positive experience for you. I know you will miss him very much. I love you and miss you. Annette

Holly said...

I am so sorry Diana. What a great man your Dad was, a great example with a great family. Your family will be in our prayers.